So. What makes a good worship song?
For me, I believe a good song should draw me into God’s Setting, God’s Mindset, God’s Reality, God’s Presence. Good worship songs should remind me of God’s character: God’s holiness, God’s awesome power, God’s incomprehensible grace, God’s sacrifice on the cross.
Longer Hymn genre type songs:
These will take some time and effort to learn (or memorize)
- Be Thou My Vision
- Come Thou Fount
- How Great Thou Art
- Immanuel (From The Squalor of a Borrowed Stable)
- In Christ alone my hope is found
- Mercy Tree
- Praise To The Lord (Joyful, Joyful)
More Modern Worship Genre
- Revelation Song
- I Will Wait For You (Psalm 130).
- Mercy Came Running
- When God Ran
- Whom Shall I Fear (The God of Angel Armies)
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See – by Shane & Shane
- Psalm 46 – Lord of Hosts – by Shane & Shane
- Psalm 139 – Far Too Wonderful – by Shane & Shane
- Psalm 91 – On Eagles’ Wings – by Shane & Shane
- Psalm 45 – Fairest of All – by Shane & Shane
- Though You Slay Me – Shane & Shane
- Psalm 84 (I’m Home) – Shane & Shane
- Only There – Shane & Shane
- Psalm 42 (Loudest Praise) – Shane & Shane
- Psalm 8 (How Majestic Is Your Name) – Shane & Shane
- Power Of The Cross – Shane & Shane
- Psalm 90 (Satisfy Us With Your Love) – Shane & Shane
- Ancient of Days [Acoustic] – Shane & Shane
- Oh Lord Almighty [Acoustic] – Shane & Shane
- All I Have Is Christ [Acoustic] – Shane & Shane
- Living Waters (As The Deer) [Acoustic] – Shane & Shane
- Song In The Night – Shane & Shane
- The Prodigal Son (Keith Green Songs)
(Easy to learn, quick to follow along, lots of repetition.)
- Ah, LORD God, Thou hast made the Heavens (Jeremiah 32:17)
- Behold, Bless ye the LORD (Psalm 134)
- Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together (Hebrew & English) (Psalm 133)
- Behold God is my Salvation,
- Beloved, Let us love one another, (1 John 4:7 and 8)
- By the Waters, the waters, of Babylon
- Come Let us Worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our God our Maker
- Father Make Us One
- Hear O Israel, The LORD our God is One God
- He has shown thee, O Man, what is good (Micah 6:8)
- I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, No man comes to the Father, but by me. *I am, I am, I am
- I love you LORD, I lift my voice to worship you, O my soul rejoice
- I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever, I will sing
- I will call upon the LORD, Who is Worthy to be praised (Psalm 18)
- I will enter His Gates with Thanksgiving in my Heart
- I will celebrate, Sing unto the LORD, I will sing to Him a new song.
- I will sing unto the LORD for He has Triumphed Gloriously, the horse and rider is thrown into the sea.
- Love, Love, Love, Love, the Gospel in one word is Love
- Rejoice in the LORD Always and again I say rejoice
- Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness (Matthew 7:7)
- Spring Up Oh Well (I’ve got a river of life)
- Summon Your Power Oh God, Show Us your strength as you have done before
- Psalm 23 – Surely Goodness, Surely Mercy
- This is the Day, this is the day that the LORD hath made
- We Give Thanks to Thee O LORD we give thanks
- We will rejoice in You and be glad, We will extol your love more than wine
- You shall go out with Joy and be led forth in Peace, the Mountains and the Hills …
Need to do some hard editing here. That’s one reason the website has not been promoted yet.
I believe it is the job responsibility after worship later to choose songs to choose songs that meet the need of the worshipers, not the need of the worship band. To do this the worship team must be led by God, advised the spirit, not by the flesh, not by the motivation to be called awesome worship leaders, or even if you noticed. If the worship leader has a tendency to draw attention to himself, attention to his musical skill, his voice training, his dress, popularity. That is not dry people into the presence of God. If your worship leader is not leading you into the kingdom of God, where is the leading you? Towards himself? Towards his music style, his worship genre, his group consensus,?(where the worship leader is not drawing attention to himself, which would be the opposite of leading others into the worship of the one true God. Right? Of course right!
Last thing I want for someone to be leading worship is: a person motivated to become popular, famous, rich, or even known, that he does do anything outwardly to draw attention to himself, or “his ministry” because true worship is not about him, his song, his inspiration, his fans, his social media accounts, it is about Him, and Him Only, the Only One worthy of our Worship. not be burdened with trying to be and doesn’t pump up fake macho faith, or
This Page will be under construction for quite awhile.
Anyone care about my opinion about Music and Song? Ok, I admit it like a belly button, everyone has one (except Adam and Eve). Ok, I admit it. I believe there is good music, and bad music not only in the world, but also in the church, and a lot has to do with the motivation behind who is writing it, why are they writing it, what are they getting out of it, and how is their music touching our generation? What is the purpose and the end goal?
So I might as well share my opinion for whatever it is worth about Music and Worship. I believe the nature of the music we listen to on the outside should (and does) reflect the music we carry around with us on the inside–our inner nature. That is why I look for music that is nourishing to the soul; and not just the carnal man. I don’t look for music that tries to create a rush for a moment, but music that keeps lingering even after the song is over. It gives food for thought, courage to face fears, hope for doubt, it embraces both joy and sorrow, it brings the soul out of darkness, out of loneliness, out of forgetfulness, and out of ingratitude (and does not draw you into the pride, the ego, the popularity, the inspiration, nor does it promote nor focus on the talent, the jazz, the fad, the clothing or style of the musician).
I like music that can plow a field, plant a seed, water that seed, and grow something beautiful the draws a man into deep, pure, real, satisfying relationship with The HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL.
Just like the carnal man is undisciplined, and would have me gorge myself on ice cream, cookies, and donuts, drinking sugar drinks all day, so would carnal music feed my flesh stirring up pride, focusing on self, focusing on a seductive style of “me-sim” its all about me, selling me clothing, hats, and junk (and selling their music for a price, and doing the ministry to make a name to get rich and famous), creating a false sense of identity, a music fad that I must become a part of (must look a certain way, have a cool hair cut, wear faddish clothes, use faddish language etc.) in order to identify with and the “cool” attitude of the singers, and the flashy guitar skills, or the mesmerizing beat of their song, that appeals to my baser senses. Also some music is promoting a wave of spiritual darkness, and false fellowship, based on false doctrine, and does not call people to repent of sin, and be humble and gracious servants of God, does not call people to sacrifice with the King, but only to look good and feel good around their friends, This is not good spiritual music. [this paragraph needs editing]